Friday, February 6, 2009

Trouble with Pork

It's a simple word, but apparently a difficult concept. As I listen to "our" senators, faces livid, describe the horrific items in the proposed stimulus package, I have two thoughts.

On the one hand, as I hear about improvements on stadiums and other items that will no doubt be good for big business but not the schools and libraries so much, I think (to my surprise) that maybe this is the way the Senate is supposed to work, that what looks like partisan argumentativeness (and actually is) also serves to tame wild proposals.

On the other hand this is truly the definitive act of picking nits. And in so doing also taking out the miniscule items that truly make a difference in my life if not yours, Senator. And one item in particular caused me to let out a particularly grand expletive, and I think neatly sums up the self-serving nature of the republican opposition: sidewalks.

Yes, Senator, sidewalks. I am sorry you think this item is so costly and so wasteful. In actual fact, given the state of the planet, our roads, traffic congestion, and the national obesity crisis, it seems one of the most cost effective actions our government could take would be to not just fund sidewalk creation, but also require that all paved roads include sidewalk/bike paths.

So I am glad that we have a bipartisan committee working on a compromise, but I continue to worry that the party of the Big Tax Breaks will continue to cut out those small items that truly will make a difference now (with jobs) and in the future, to our quality of life.

Oh, and Senator Graham, for that crack about how the stimulus package smells: Thanks for that. Your objectivity and diplomacy continue to make us South Carolinians proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment