Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving.  Really.

I spend most of my time griping, but I want to take a few minutes to name a few things I am thankful for this year.

I am thankful that I leave work at 2:00 instead of 5:30.

I am thankful that, when I am told to do something dumb, I have finally learned that no one will notice if you ignore it.

I am thankful that my break time got cut from 30 minutes to 15 minutes as it does make it easier to maintain my diet.

I am thankful that I have truly learned to act ironically; for instance when I am not included in a decision, or even informed that a decision has been made, I now just say nothing and watch the chaos and incompetence.  This needs work, but it is worth the effort.

I am thankful that I still have savings, although I am running through it rapidly, I believe I just might make it to retirement age.

I am thankful that, now that I work part-time, I work in a library so I have tons of books to bring home, and time to read them.

I am thankful that I have found some intelligent friends, and I can once again be sarcastic and occasionally "cuss" in conversation that warrants "cussing".

I am thankful that I have a boss who would rather not ask me to do crummy jobs; he asks people he likes more than me, which once made me feel excluded in a bad way, but now fills me with relief.

I am thankful that I have been excluded from tasks that I once did to the point where I was putting in extra hours, and sometimes experiencing renewed pain in my shoulder.

I am thankful that my work review once again gave me low scores for attitude, and additionally, low scores for initiative.  After five years of being angry about this, and continuing to work hard to prove my supervisors wrong, this year I felt relieved, a burden lifted.   Fuck 'em.

And I am thankful that I am here and not there, and when I am there it's not the worst job in the world, and when I leave there I don't have to take it with me, even though sometimes I do.  I can let this job be as much a part of me as I want.  I may not be earning a living, but I have gotten my life back to some extent.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment