Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And Now a Word from the Powerful

I got a call today from the HR person at the library.  She informed me that she had emailed me yesterday, and that the director wants to meet with me next Monday or Tuesday regarding "the ad".  I know what this means.  It means I am in trouble, and may mean I will lose my job.

This is South Carolina.  I work for the government.  Therefore, I should know I have no rights.  I should, indeed, be thankful to have a job.  I am likely to get completely paranoid over the next six days, not for no reason.

And I've been around long enough, and do indeed, have a background in psychology.  I know all the power games.  The phone call from HR instead of direct contact.  The fact that he is not available until six days from now.  It is small consolation that I don't make enough that the loss of the job will not wipe me out financially, immediately.

At least I have a few days to get used to the likelihood that I will have lost my job.

And that's the way the country works these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment