Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter, Sears Employees



A fews days ago, with list in hand, I attempted to do my bi-annual (or tri-annual) clothes shopping.  I would have put it off another year, but some articles of clothing probably would not have made it another year.


I went to the Mall, to Sears, because the last time I bought shorts, maybe six years or so ago, they had shorts, in my size, and reasonably priced.  And unmentionables.


As I walked in, I was astonished to see a sign indicating that Sears was going to be open on Easter Sunday.  I nearly turned around and left at that point, but I am glad I did not.   l learned that:


On the Tuesday afternoon before Easter, Sears was the place to go if you needed peace and quiet. Customers were scarce, and so were employees.


There are no shorts for sale at Sears.  And there is no longer underwear at Sears in large sizes.  In Charleston, that means they are missing out on a very large demographic, no pun intended.


And there were absolutely no salespeople in sight on my first go-round, and on the second disbelieving go-round, the salesperson who looked like she was either taking inventory or trying to hide behind the rack of clothes, had no idea if they had shorts or large sizes.


So now I'm thinking, if Sears is a ghost town on a Tuesday, and they obviously don't spend a whole lot on employing "customer service" personnel during the week before the big dress-up holiday, why on earth would they want to be open on Easter Sunday?  Must be for those last minute going-to-church clothing emergencies?  Or maybe a lot of grills fail on Easter Sunday?


I am not a religious person, but I am a family person. It is outrageous that Sears or any big corporation would require employees to work on an important family holiday.  And if they think they are doing it for profit, the CEO ought to take a walk around the store during the week -- in fact, he could take a riding mower around the store with no fear of injuring a customer, or even finding one.


So, shame on you, Sears, and Happy Easter.



No comments:

Post a Comment